ACCIDENTS KEEP PILING UP

3CATSAILOR

I mean its still BS, seeing as we really dont have wrecks in school zones caused by speeding. And I'm pretty sure in the .ast 50 years, you cannot find an incident of a child being hit by a car in a school zone, speeding or otherwise. Back when they were pushing for these statewide, the best they had was a 17 year old girl hit at like 7pm by a car tat wasnt speeding, outside he crosswalks. And she had I think a broken arm.......
Yeah, I do remember that. You are correct about no accidents in the School zones. True, folks speed in the School zones. Of course they do. But, there is no record of any accidents in School zones accept for what you mentioned. If there is any, I would love to know when it was. But, I know the data simply doesn't support it. Therefore, as pretty much all of us know, the School zone is simply a "feel good" area to make it taste better to the public. For example, if the public was told they wanted it for the bridge, the public would likely say "uh?" lol, if you look at the whole picture of it, it is kind of comical how our government thinks they are playing us. Don't worry about the cameras in the Speed Zones for St. Mary's County. This was planned long, long ago. I think a Commissioner even mentioned he thought it was already rubber stamped before it even came to them. Do you remember which Commissioner said it?

The only reason RLC isn't talked about yet is because the public really dislikes the idea. But, have no fear, it will appear in SMC as well. Just give it time. Yeah, I hear all of the talk, no, it will never happen. I wonder how many folks believe that? The RLC in St. Mary's have huge issues right now. They are not timed correctly. And there are other issues.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, I do remember that. You are correct about no accidents in the School zones. True, folks speed in the School zones. Of course they do. But, there is no record of any accidents in School zones accept for what you mentioned. If there is any, I would love to know when it was. But, I know the data simply doesn't support it. Therefore, as pretty much all of us know, the School zone is simply a "feel good" area to make it taste better to the public. For example, if the public was told they wanted it for the bridge, the public would likely say "uh?" lol, if you look at the whole picture of it, it is kind of comical how our government thinks they are playing us. Don't worry about the cameras in the Speed Zones for St. Mary's County. This was planned long, long ago. I think a Commissioner even mentioned he thought it was already rubber stamped before it even came to them. Do you remember which Commissioner said it?

The only reason RLC isn't talked about yet is because the public really dislikes the idea. But, have no fear, it will appear in SMC as well. Just give it time. Yeah, I hear all of the talk, no, it will never happen. I wonder how many folks believe that? The RLC in St. Mary's have huge issues right now. They are not timed correctly. And there are other issues.

IIRC, John O'Conner was a pretty large cheese with one of the national automated enforcement companies. And he was key in shutting down the red light cameras when they were pitched. Along with the SHA, who said there would be no benefit to cameras on 235. Which of course where they would make the most money.

Why do you say the red lights are timed incorrectly? Remember, the calculations and modeling for traffic flow are pretty complex. And the goal as they view it might not be what we think it should be. The below is for figuring one intersections timing changes. Try and flow out 235 from Gate 2 to past Wildewood.......... Lots going on.....

https://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/fhwahop08024/chapter5.htm

The MUTCD provides guidance on the application and duration of the yellow change and red clearance intervals. It recommends that the interval durations shall be predetermined based on individual intersection conditions, such as approach speed and intersection width. The MUTCD advises that the yellow change interval should last approximately 3 to 6 seconds, with the longer intervals being used on higher-speed approaches. It also advises that the red clearance interval should not exceed 6 seconds. A recent survey conducted by The Urban Transportation Monitor indicated that practitioners who used a standard red clearance interval used a range from 0.5 to 2.0 seconds.

Kell and Fullerton (12) offer the following equation for computing the phase change period (yellow change plus red clearance intervals):

Equation 5-2​

1715045221722.png

1715045192811.png

3CATSAILOR

IIRC, John O'Conner was a pretty large cheese with one of the national automated enforcement companies. And he was key in shutting down the red light cameras when they were pitched. Along with the SHA, who said there would be no benefit to cameras on 235. Which of course where they would make the most money.

Why do you say the red lights are timed incorrectly? Remember, the calculations and modeling for traffic flow are pretty complex. And the goal as they view it might not be what we think it should be. The below is for figuring one intersections timing changes. Try and flow out 235 from Gate 2 to past Wildewood.......... Lots going on.....

https://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/fhwahop08024/chapter5.htm

Equation 5-2​

View attachment 176979

View attachment 176978
I noticed some of the lights were pretty quick going from yellow to red. However, I haven't noticed it lately. Perhaps SHA corrected it.

NOTSMC

I noticed some of the lights were pretty quick going from yellow to red. However, I haven't noticed it lately. Perhaps SHA corrected it.
Noticed that just yesterday southbound at Gate 2. The light was red, we were third in line, all of us were stopped. The light turned green, the two cars in front of us moved within seconds as did we but they went through a green, it turned yellow as we approached and we went under that. We moved the same time they did. I don't think it could have been green more than 20 seconds.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Noticed that just yesterday southbound at Gate 2. The light was red, we were third in line, all of us were stopped. The light turned green, the two cars in front of us moved within seconds as did we but they went through a green, it turned yellow as we approached and we went under that. We moved the same time they did. I don't think it could have been green more than 20 seconds.

It's the same with the light at St. Andrews Church Road next to the Wawa when trying to cross towards Solomons. That light's timing has always been way too short. Add in the azzholes trying to squeeze their way in trying to exit Wawa, of blocking the crossing 235 lane into the left turning lane all becasue of some "nice" idiot allowing them in, or to cross towards Solomons blocking the path for people to turn south onto 235, and many times, it'll take two or three cycles just to cross that intersection. It should only be an entrance into Wawa there, with no exit.

Tech

For your consideration ...

Add in the azzholes trying to squeeze their way in trying to exit Wawa, of blocking the crossing 235 lane into the left turning lane all becasue of some "nice" idiot allowing them in, or to cross towards Solomons blocking the path for people to turn south onto 235, and many times, it'll take two or three cycles just to cross that intersection. It should only be an entrance into Wawa there, with no exit.
That's why I use FDR, cut over to 235 later.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
If an emergency vehicle has passed thru the intersection and the sensors gave the emergency vehicle preference, the light pattern is offset for a cycle or two until it all syncs up again. I've observed that a few times, short green lights.

3CATSAILOR

Sounds like revenue for RLC to me. I know they aren't here yet. But, something tells me they will be. When they come, I guess the spin will be to reduce accidents. Of course the short time is an attempt to cater to Pax and keep the traffic flowing. But, it does at the same time work in favor of RLC.