Home Free - American Pie ft. Don McLean

SamSpade

Very first album I ever bought, with my own money. I can barely think of another song with so many - "riddles" - metaphors and references that describe real things, but nearly impossible to interpret upon first hearing.

Clem72

A great song for 50+ years. Don still has his voice. Wonderful musical arrangement. Hard to believe that one guy is doing all the percussion with his voice.

So the thing with the modern beatboxing is that they allow a LOT of post processing (typically reverb, speed, and pitch). As long as the original sound came from a person, they don't seem to care how much mixing is done in post. And Don probably still sounds good, but it's amazing how much you can "clean up" a vocal these days. I saw a video of a guy who legitimately sounded like Marge Simpson's chain-smoking older sisters sing some famous songs and they edited it to make him sound exactly like the mastered originals.

Search Youtube/TikTok for before/after beatbox and sound editing AI to see what is completely typical now.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Very first album I ever bought, with my own money. I can barely think of another song with so many - "riddles" - metaphors and references that describe real things, but nearly impossible to interpret upon first hearing.
My first was “One tin soldier” by Coven, better known as the theme song of the legend of Billy Jack.