Not High Tech BUT............

WingsOfGold

69 Mustang........ new solenoid, neutral safety switch has backup lights, alternator, ignition switch, wires "look" good, ran fine 2 weeks ago now does NOT crank with key. Jump the solenoid........... no problem. Cannot use meter since I'm by myself for the next few days and arms are not 8 feet long.
Ideas I'm overlooking?
:mad:Thinking about just putting spring loaded switch inside to solenoid and saying hell with it. Key on, hold switch, vroom...........

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I had a similar problem with my 65 way back when.

Ended up having to replace the ignition switch in the dash.

Kinnakeet

69 Mustang........ new solenoid, neutral safety switch has backup lights, alternator, ignition switch, wires "look" good, ran fine 2 weeks ago now does NOT crank with key. Jump the solenoid........... no problem. Cannot use meter since I'm by myself for the next few days and arms are not 8 feet long.
Ideas I'm overlooking?
:mad:Thinking about just putting spring loaded switch inside to solenoid and saying hell with it. Key on, hold switch, vroom...........
Put a chevy emblem on there it will start up and be twice as fast

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Can you get to the ignition switch wiring and run a fresh wire bypassing the wire to the solenoid (not suggesting that you feed it through the fire well yet, just a long run out the door and around to it)?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Only other thing I can think is a fusible link. And Kens idea would bypass that to confirm the disconnect.

I don’t remember the 60s mustangs having a fusible link on that connection.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Wings, humor me a bit and see if you have continuity from the mounting bolt/s for the solenoid to battery ground.

WingsOfGold

Wings, humor me a bit and see if you have continuity from the mounting bolt/s for the solenoid to battery ground.
Have no doubt but will do tomorrow unibody and sits maybe 3 inches from battery and IS grounded, everything else works. It's a wire between solenoid and switch lost in harness or plug.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Have no doubt but will do tomorrow unibody and sits maybe 3 inches from battery and IS grounded, everything else works. It's a wire between solenoid and switch lost in harness or plug.
Probably right, by running a length of wire from the switch to the solenoid you can be sure. After all, if its the original harness you are dealing with 55 year old wiring.