Deep Fryer

SamSpade

Every year we deep fry the turkey. My wife prepares the brine with salt and brown sugar and some other stuff, and it sits overnight. We dry it well and start to deep fry in our Masterbuilt Electric Fryer. We've been doing this about six or seven years.

BUT it's occurred to me over Thanksgivings and Christmas - it's never turned out LIKE we hoped - the skin is never crisp, and while the meat is cooked to the right temperature, we always have to cook it LONGER. Until yesterday, I never gave it much thought.

A few experiments with hand-held thermometers and the case is clear - it doesn't STAY at full temperature. I heat the oil up to 375, and once the turkey goes in - even dry and at room temperature - after an HOUR in the oil, it STILL never returns to even over 300 degrees.

Near as I can tell - the heating element - or just simply the DESIGN - is ill equipped to pumping out enough heat to sustain the temperature.

Two questions:

1. Does anyone else deep fry their turkey WITHOUT using propane or gas - but with electricity?
2. If you use ANY kind of electric fryer for deep frying - no matter the size - what kind do you use?

I don't want to ditch the Masterbuilt - but it's clear it has NEVER worked the way I wanted it to. Even smaller turkeys have the same consequence.

YESTERDAY I just deep fried CHICKEN wings. Same thing. Won't keep the temperature.

PeoplesElbow

Can you start hotter?

A standard 115 wall outlet can only provide so much heat. A smaller bird should change the temperature less and make it easier to recover. Perhaps the design just doesn't use enough oil.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Are you running it on an extension cord? You might be seeing an excessive voltage drop. Make sure the cord is as short as possible and heavy duty, like 12AWG.

PeoplesElbow

Oh yea, if voltage sags you will lose quite a bit of heating capability. Those heaters are mostly just resistors and (very roughly) Power = Current * Voltage, but because the current will decrease as voltage decreases also (I = V/R) you power will be V^2/R. So lose 10 volts you will lose 100 watts of heating power.

SamSpade

Can you start hotter?

A standard 115 wall outlet can only provide so much heat.
Highest temp the thing will go to is 375 which sadly, is the TARGET temp for deep frying most things.

And I've loaded it full using oil with highest smoke point.
A smaller bird should change the temperature less and make it easier to recover. Perhaps the design just doesn't use enough oil.
See, that's what I thought. So we did a 12 lb bird last time; yesterday I did WINGS - five pounds. STILL wouldn't go above 275.

Despite the advertisement - I suspect you simply CAN'T do it with the design it has. I don't think a 115 wall outlet can pump out the energy needed to keep it at 375.

SamSpade

Are you running it on an extension cord? You might be seeing an excessive voltage drop. Make sure the cord is as short as possible and heavy duty, like 12AWG.
The machine itself comes with a breakaway cord of about TWO FEET. Seriously, you'd have to SIT IT NEXT to the outlet to work, and wife doesn't like it done indoors.

But still, my question - does ANYONE fry with electric?

PeoplesElbow

The machine itself comes with a breakaway cord of about TWO FEET. Seriously, you'd have to SIT IT NEXT to the outlet to work, and wife doesn't like it done indoors.

We use one at work at Thanksgiving, haven't had a problem with it. I don't remember what brand it is.

I suspect it isn't well insulated and doesn't use enough oil. So the thermal mass of the turkey is too great compared to the thermal mass of the hot oil. (Got my masters degree in thermal sciences)

SamSpade

JUST READ on Masterbuilt site - yep. That's why the cord is so short. Damn.

SamSpade

No. Gas. Turned up it will make 450+*. Bought before they had to have restrictors and safety stuff.
Yeah - well. I still think I want a REGULAR fryer if only for fries and stuff. Although the air fryer kind of suits me.

I have a big party at the end of summer, and I want to do wings right this time.

Clem72

I used propane when I did it, but I haven't done one in years. Makes sense that electric would struggle. Have you tried pre-cooking in the oven and finishing in the fryer?

SamSpade

Just checked my supply. I have a couple of short pieces of 10AWG and 12AWG Romex wire. Just offering, I could build you a test cable.
I think it's probably easier to find a plug NOT indoors where I can build a stand for it to SIT NEXT TO THE OUTLET. Wife suggested the garage.
So party time, wings are cooked in the garage.

You know - I think y'all may have nailed it. You have to admit, when they give you a two foot cord, your FIRST thought is often - what kind of extensions do I have?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Wife suggested the garage.
Deep frying in the garage wouldn't be my first choice. Makes a mess on the walls when things go wrong or splatter.

Offer stands if you change your mind. Only takes a few minutes to make a cord.

SamSpade

Ok - second question then - do you use an electric for anything - like - not a turkey. Maybe fries, or wings, or fried chicken?

SamSpade

Deep frying in the garage wouldn't be my first choice. Makes a mess on the walls when things go wrong or splatter.

Offer stands if you change your mind. Only takes a few minutes to make a cord.
Masterbuilt says it works best if you don't add any length FOR EXACTLY the reasons you guys came up with. I'm gonna try the garage.
Thanks for the offer though.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Ok - second question then - do you use an electric for anything - like - not a turkey. Maybe fries, or wings, or fried chicken?
No. If I want to fry anything, deep or pan, I use the side burner on the BBQ grill. I hate the splatter mess on the kitchen stove.

PeoplesElbow

Masterbuilt says it works best if you don't add any length FOR EXACTLY the reasons you guys came up with. I'm gonna try the garage.
Thanks for the offer though.
I think I have seen some very heavy short cords at Lowes.

I violate this with my smoker all the time, use a 50ft 14 awg cord, it can keep up though. I really should buy a better extension cord for some of the things I plug into these things like table saw, planner etc.