Giant Steel Rocket Part Tres

glhs837

Power with Control
Excitement guaranteed. This one incorporates the 17 mitigating things NASA identified following flight 2.

1. Stage 1, Super Heavy, still landling in a hover over the ocean in the Gulf as if it were approaching the catch tower at Boca.
2. Stage 2, Starship, not splashing down off Hawaii anymore, coming in over the Indian Ocean. Once Starship is in an "orbit capable" altitude and speed, they will shut down the engines, open and close the "Pez Dispenser bay door that in service will spit out Starlinks like its namesake dispensed tiny candy. They will also use internal tanks to demonstrate in orbit fuel transfer that will be required to fulfil the Lunar missions contract where they send up a number of Starships with nothing but extra LOX and methane to fuel the lunar landing variant when it launches. Lastly will come an in space relight of the Raptor engines, followed by shutdown and reentry.

SpaceX gives this mission a 70%-80% chance of full success. As of right now, they have five more ships close to completion, and four more Super Heavies so even if this ones doesnt make it all the way, it should get closer and more missions are only months away. They have asked permission to launch nine missions like this this year. .

Oh, and this will ony be showing a little while, but the live cam is zoomed in on the guys installing the FTS. NEver saw a manlift with an anemometer. Lookk at that thing go....

stgislander

PREMO Member
I learned something interesting on the NASA Space Flight channel. SpaceX's plan is to drop Starship in the Indian Ocean. But they are not going to do the Flip-n-Burn landing. They are literally going to let it hit the water at terminal velocity. I guess to see how it disintegrates.

Here's to hoping they have a ship stationed nearby to record splashdown.

glhs837

Power with Control
I learned something interesting on the NASA Space Flight channel. SpaceX's plan is to drop Starship in the Indian Ocean. But they are not going to do the Flip-n-Burn landing. They are literally going to let it hit the water at terminal velocity. I guess to see how it disintegrates.

Here's to hoping they have a ship stationed nearby to record splashdown.
Yeah so that part of the profile isn't any different. And I have never really gotten a good explanation as to why. I mean it certainly makes cleanup easier. Don't need to get anybody out there to punch holes in it and let it sink. As far as ships, I think the exclusion area will be pretty damn big. And I'm not sure where you could base a wb57 out of to go watch it

glhs837

Power with Control
SpaceX feed, prep is underway, but there is a risk of winds causing a scrub. Launched is 8am our time.

Nasaspaceflight.com feed. Its live now, the rocket nerds answering questions and chattering. But until the SpaceX feed goes live, best way to see where they are in the process.

glhs837

Power with Control
I quit watching after about 10 minutes into the launch..what happened with the booster?
Sounds like all the raptors did not fire for the landing burn. It also appears that they lost Starship during the reentry blackout.

Looking at it, I see the grid fins that are the control surfaces for the booster as it comes back through the atmosphere suddenly start morking really hard, going through full range stop to stop. Think of a newbie snow driver sawing at the wheel trying to bring the back end into control. I suspect that the far end of the rocket was yawing like crazy, and the fuel was sloshing away from the pickups. That would have kept them from firing. SpaceX has of course, all the data channels and a lot more camera views.

As for Ship? One thing is that tnaks to Starlink, we didnt really black out until the vehicle was lost. Being so huge, the plasma didnt fully wrp the ship, so we had real time HD caemra right through most of reenetry.

stgislander

PREMO Member
The whole flight was exciting to watch.

My counterpart in Norway and I were watching it at the same time. I commented on how slow the cargo door open/close sequence was. I suggested they were using electric actuators. He suggested we get Gilligan to design a hydraulic control system for it. It would be real snappy. :lol:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
How 13 Different News Outlets Covered Elon Musk’s Successful SpaceX Launch

A new step toward the future of mankind was taken this week following another successful launch from SpaceX. As with other major news stories, it can be interesting and informative to see how it was covered by different media outlets.

Here is a rundown of how 13 major news sources covered Elon Musk's latest successful launch:

CNN: Musk Chooses Space Exploration Over Ending World Hunger

Salon: I Lived It: I Inhaled Musk's Rocket's Fumes And They Killed Me

MSNBC: Musk Attacks Ocean With Rocket

New York Times: Musk Launches Rocket In Bid To Spread Hate Speech To Other Planets

More...