Middle East War Briefing

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

IRAN INSANITY

Two friends of mine comment on the Obama/Biden administration’s bizarre partiality toward Iran. In the New York Post, Glenn Reynolds writes:

Post-[Iran’s] attack [on Israel]— going further yet beyond parody — the Biden administration’s chief effort has been aimed at demanding Israel not retaliate.
That’s right. Israel has had more than a thousand of its citizens raped, tortured, murdered and kidnapped, it’s been subjected to a massive missile attack, and it’s being told to exercise “restraint.”
What other country in the world faces this sort of attack and is then told to exercise restraint?
The Biden administration even organized G7 leaders to demand that Israel not respond.
Is this ineptitude, or is it corruption?
As the girl in the taco commercials says, “Why not both?”

I would like to see Biden endorse massive retaliation by Israel with a view toward trying to bring about regime change in Iran. But, as I wrote here, I will be satisfied if Biden stays out of Israel’s way. And I assume Israel’s leaders will ignore pro forma calls for “restraint.” I hope so, anyway.

Biden doesn’t want to openly side with Iran, which most Americans — correctly — regard as an enemy of the United States and civilization in general.
On the other hand, Minnesota and swing state Michigan have large numbers of immigrants who chant “Death to Israel” — and sometimes “Death to America” — and Biden needs their votes to win in November. (And they know it.)
What’s more, an Israeli retaliatory strike might well hit Iranian oil-export facilities, which would drive up oil prices, and thus gasoline prices, this summer and hurt Biden’s re-election chances.
So Biden is trying to have it both ways.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
🚀🚀 The Jerusalem Post ran a story early this morning headlined, “Israeli sources to Post: 'An eye for an eye'; not clear why Pentagon leaked info on attack.” Last night, assisted by the U.S., Israel launched a retaliatory strike on an airbase in western Iran. Still-emerging accounts are describing the strike as as “limited,” “nuanced,” and only intended to send a message. The New York Times’s headline cautioned, “Israel Strikes Iran, but Scope Appears Limited.

image.png

The strike happened a few hours ago and the full story isn’t out yet. What we know so far is that Israeli jets, supported by American refueling planes, used long-range missiles to blast a military airbase in Isfahan, Iran. The extent of damage is unknown. Some reports say the airbase was located near a nuclear reactor, implying the Israelis were sending the message we can blow up your nuclear site next if we want to.

Last weekend, Iranian missiles damaged an Israeli airbase; hence the Post’s reference to Old Testament justice: “an eye for an eye.” An airbase for an airbase. Or maybe it would be more accurate to say, a cactus next to an airbase for six goats next to an airbase. We’ll see.

Great debate occupied the week’s headlines over whether Israel should retaliate at all. I confess being confused why some Israelis were still so angry even though the massive Iranian strike last weekend failed so miserably. Having done more research, I think I understand better some of the factors at play.

“You got a win. Take the win,” Joe Biden claimed to have advised Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu last week in urging him not to counter-attack. Yesterday we noted the New York Times blamed the conflict on Israel, as a miscalculation. But the miscalculation was made by Team Biden; they negotiated Iran’s strike against Israel reasoning that if there wasn’t much real damage, Israel could just “take the win” and stand down.

To outsiders it does look like everybody should be happy; Iran made a dramatic statement, Israel took no meaningful damage, and suffered no human cost at all. The strikes just reorganized the desert landscape some. But for at least two reasons, team Biden was wrong, and the Israelis still felt it absolutely necessary to do something.

The first issue seems to be, as the Israelis correctly pointed out, even though there was no meaningful damage, a symbolic ‘red line’ was crossed — Iran had attacked Israel directly for the first time, from Iran’s own soil, and not this time through any cutouts or proxies. It’s hard for Americans to understand, but the Iranian attack felt categorically different to Israel — and Iran probably knew it.

The second problem is more nebulous. For most Israelis, October 7th changed everything. It was worldview-shattering inflection point that warped reality itself. It was like their 9/11 moment. And that psychic injury remains recent, unfinished, and raw. The October 7th attack disrupted long-standing Israeli confidence leaving them paranoid, fearful, and defensive.

So the neocons in the Biden Administration should have known that giving Iran a green light to attack Israel would lead to further conflict.

The good news is that Iran seems unlikely to further respond. Early reports suggest the Iranians have re-opened their airspace, suggesting they don’t plan any further retaliation. So if Biden’s neocons will quit meddling, which I admit is a long shot, the Middle East might quiet down.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Biden gave Iran yet another win by pressing Israel to go easy on the terrorist state

With Israel facing overwhelming pressure from President Biden, its Friday retaliation against Iran was an exercise in minimalism.

Jerusalem did cross one important Iranian red line, at whose mere mention the Biden administration has quailed.

Bibi Netanyahu’s war cabinet authorized an overt attack against a target on the soil of Iran, which Israel had previously attacked only covertly.

Point therefore made, albeit one that should have made many years ago.

Beyond that, there is little to celebrate.

Jerusalem’s riposte to Tehran’s massive April 13-14 missile-and-drone attack on Israel has solved nothing else substantive. Iran continues closing its “ring of fire” around Israel, which will likely now refocus on finishing Hamas.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

‘A Moral Low’: Netanyahu Slams Biden Decision to Sanction Religious IDF Unit

The sanctions, first reported by Axios reporter Barak Ravid, would apply to the Netzach Yehudah (“Judea Forever”) unit, which enlists ultra-Orthodox soldiers and has been moved from the West Bank to the Golan Heights.

The sanctions would be the first ever applied to an IDF unit, and come at a critical time in Israel’s war against terror, when it faces attack from Iran and all of its proxies, including the ongoing fight against Hamas terrorists in Gaza.

Politicians from across the political spectrum — including Netanyahu’s chief political rival, Benny Gantz — slammed the U.S. decision, pointing out that Israel has its own judicial system for dealing with complaints against soldiers.

Netanyahu first posted his gratitude to the U.S. Congress for passing $17 billion in military aid to Israel, then posted — in Hebrew — his outrage at the Biden administration for sanctioning an IDF unit in the middle of the war.

PJay

"A secret discussion was held today at the Knesset in preparation for the possibility that international arrest warrants will be issued against the Prime Minister, the Defense Minister, and the Chief of Staff in the coming days."

Hijinx

I certainly do not know much about the International Criminal Court .To me it's just another farce put on by the UN.

It's not like they can enter Israel and arrest anyone. They have to wait until the person wanted for the arrest goes into a member nation and that nation arrests them. I believe Putin is on their arrest list.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

The UN reports:

Disturbing reports continue to emerge about mass graves in Gaza in which Palestinian victims were reportedly found stripped naked with their hands tied, prompting renewed concerns about possible war crimes amid ongoing Israeli airstrikes, the UN human rights office, OHCHR, said on Tuesday.
The development follows the recovery of hundreds of bodies “buried deep in the ground and covered with waste” over the weekend at Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, central Gaza, and at Al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza City in the north. A total of 283 bodies were recovered at Nasser Hospital, of which 42 were identified.
“Among the deceased were allegedly older people, women and wounded, while others were found tied with their hands…tied and stripped of their clothes,” said Ravina Shamdasani, spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez wants to know why the mainstream media is going wall-to-wall with coverage of pro-Hamas protests on campus when news like this is breaking. CNN's Christiane Amanpour covered the story:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The Palestinians will lie; the Biden Administration and UN (aka "The Little Dictator's Club") will back them and threaten Israel; it will turn out the Palestinians lied; and Biden/Dictators will move on to the next Palestinian lie.

This has been going on with Democrats as long as I've been alive, and yet American Jews vote overwhelmingly with them. I get that retarded libtards vote Democrat - they're ignorant savages. But I can't think of a single reason why Jewish people would vote for basically Hitler.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

This is what they do. They can't convince people with reasoning and logic (because they're not on their side), so they resort to bullying tactics.

'Hey, you won't do what we want? We'll show up at your house and terrify your kids.'

It's no wonder they're ideological allies with the aims of Hamas.

Many in the comments were taking issue with Cruz labeling the protesters as 'pro-Hamas'.

Boo hoo.

Hamas murdered over 1,000 innocent Israelis, and now leftist activists in the U.S. are opposing Israel's response to secure their people. So, yeah, they are pro-Hamas in a sense.